http://faithfuldevotionamovie.blogspot.com/

Friday, July 30, 2010

A Scene in the movie Faithful Devotion

It is late Spring, 1983. Pete and I are elegantly dressed, walking up to the Officer's Club in Annapolis, Maryland. There is a group of young officers to our right. It is twilight time. I am walking up to the entrance of the club, and Pete is to my right, closer to the officers. With my eyes straight ahead, a scene unfolds in my peripheral vision.

     One of the men says, "I'm in Love!" and pretends to faint, while his fellow comrade catches him, as gracefully as a beautifully, choreographed dance.

     When we sat down at our table, Peter asked, "Did you see what those guys did out there?"

     "No, who?"

     "Those young officers were all walking into the club with us, and one of them said, "I'm in Love!" He fell back and his friend caught him."

     "Oh really?" I was just as surprised as Peter was, as I had not really processed what I'd seen peripherally. After a brief pause, I said, "Oh, is that what happened?"

     "Yeah, I couldn't believe it. He just trusted his friend to catch him as he fell. They must know each other really well."

I just kind of shrugged it off with a smile at Pete, and looked forward to a wonderful meal, and a beautiful evening of dancing.


                                           *******

     One night of our dancing really stands out in my mind. We were in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. ...at a popular dance club (in 1979). Pete always wore a jacket, or a suit and tie, and I always wore an elegant cocktail dress, and of course, high heals. We were dancing to MacArthur Park, by Richard Harris. The song is more than seven minutes long, and way before the end of the song, we were the only couple dancing.

     After the song, we sat down, and almost immediately, this man, kind of tall, with longish white hair appeared at our table with another round of drinks for us in his hands.

     With a slight British accent he said with a real sincere, serious look on his face, "I was just sitting here drowning my sorrows, when I looked up and saw the most beautiful sight of you two dancing. I just wanted to thank you."

     And he handed us our drinks, which the waiter had told him to deliver. Pete and I were really stunned by this, as the guy looked and sounded exactly like Richard Harris. We just looked at each other wide-eyed and smiled. It was fun.   

No comments:

Post a Comment